Saturday, July 31, 2010

GED Writing Test--High Stakes Testing

GED students of all ages may never be great writers, but they deserve a chance to improve their skills and their lives. Given their motivation and determination, teenagers and adults who join GED programs often make rapid progress when given appropriate support and instruction.

The GED is authentic high stakes testing for them. Studying for and passing the GED shows their commitment to improving their own lives. It shows they have reevaluated their stance on education and realize that it is criticial to success in life. They often express regret about time wasted in high school and mistakes made.

Passing the GED gives these high school dropouts a second chance. It means getting a better paying job or being released from court supervision. It also gives them a boost in self-esteem.

Evelyn, a twenty-year-old single mom, expressed it this way: "Before I came to this GED program, I had no plans for the future. Since I started these classes, I've learned that I'm smarter than I thought, and now I can make plans for me and my child."

Failing the test condemns high school dropouts to the status quo. Worse, it often condemns their children to social and economic conditions that perpetuate poverty.

The GED test is authentic high-stake assessment.

1 comment: